Asphalt Extraction Solvent:
Safely replace trichloroethylene (TCE) and methylene chloride for asphalt extraction with EnTron-AE. EnTron-AE is an n-propyl bromide (nPB) based solvent which is safer to use and more environmentally friendly then the chlorinated solvents typically used in asphalt extraction applications. Use of EnTron-AE will use less solvent per extraction, take less time, and have shorter drying times while decreasing hazardous waste, eliminating time-consuming reporting requirements, and reduce annual solvent costs.
Contact us today for more information or a free test sample.
ASTM and AASHTO Compliance
Care must be taken when choosing an nPB based solvent for your asphalt extraction application. Differences in purity, moisture content, non-volatile residue, and stabilizers can affect the performance. Reliance Specialty Products specifically developed and formulated EnTron-AE to exacting standards for asphalt extraction applications. EnTron-AE is approved for us in accordance with the following ASTM and AASHTO specifications and test methods:
- ASTM D6368: Standard Specification for Vapor-Degreasing Solvents Based on normal-Propyl Bromide and Technical Grade normal-Propyl Bromide
- ASTM D2172: Standard Test Methods for Quantitative Extraction of Bitumen from Bituminous Paving Mixtures
- ASTM D5404: Standard Practice for Recovery of Asphalt from Solution Using the Rotary Evaporator
- AASHTO TP2: Standard Test Method for the Quantitative Extraction and Recovery of Asphalt Binder from Asphalt Mixtures
- AASHTO T164: Standard Method of Test for Quantitative Extraction of Asphalt Binder from Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA)
Benefits over Trichloroethylene and Methylene Chloride
EnTron-AE n-Propyl Bromide (nPB) Solvent:
- has no flash point
- is not regulated under the National Emissions Standard for Hazardous Air Pollutant (NESHAP)
- is not regulated for shipping by the Department of Transportation (DOT)
- has a low ozone depleting and global warming potential (effectively zero)
- is not regulated as a hazardous waste
Department of Transportation (DOT) Testing and Approval:
NPB is fast becoming the preferred solvent of many DOTs across the country. For instance, Reliance Specialty Products is pleased to announce that EnTron-AE has been evaluated and approved to be the exclusive stabilized n-Propyl Bromide product that is used by the Minnesota DOT for their asphalt extraction solvent applications. The final report of the Minnesota DOT Selection of an Alternative Asphalt Extraction Solvent determined that:
- nPB can be substituted for TCE extraction solvents
- use less solvent per extraction
- extractions take less time and have shorter drying times
- using nPB for asphalt extractions would decrease hazardous waste
- eliminate time-consuming reporting requirements
- reduce annual solvent costs.
They have also determined that when using the same test methods, no significant statistical difference in performance is seen when using an nPB based solvent vs. chlorinated solvents.
Product Sizes, Availability, and Disposal
EnTron-AE is available in 1, 5, and 55 gallon containers. EnTron-AE is a stock item and can ship the same day as ordered. Contact us today for more information.
Free to Use Spent Solvent Disposal Program
Customers of EnTron-AE are eligible to use Reliance's Spent Solvent Disposal Program free of charge.
Questions, Product Data, and Samples for Evaluation
If you require any further information, need a sample, or the MSDS, please feel free to contact Reliance's Solvent Specialists.